Skip to main content

Vine Tutorial

On Monday morning I took part in the UKScrappers blog hop, who would have predicted the response to the flowers I had made for the layout. In particular the rose vine. I was flabbergasted, but promised I would let everybody know how I had done it. If anybody does make one of these vines please could you credit me and if posted in a blog I would appreciate a link back to me.
I was absolutely inspired by the gorgeous Prima vines, I have purchased many but due to the cost they remain in my stash, I am too frightened to use them because they are not cheap. They fall into the category of  'waiting for a special projrect'. This made me challenge myself to see if i could make something similar.
 Firstly you will need to gather your supplies
  • Florist wires
  • florist paper tape
  • paper flowers - they need to have a 'tail' on them, I used these
  • card stock to make leaves
  • either a leaf punch or die to cut leaves, I used these
  • distress ink
    Cut as many leaves as you think you will need and ink the edges with distress ink.
     Cut two or three wires down to 3" lengths, you will need 1 wire for each leaf.
    Wrap each wire and the 'tail' of each flower with the florist tape.
     take several lengths of florist  tape, approx 4 - 5 " in length and twist the full length of it into a thin roll, this forms the tendrils
    Twist each of the rolled tape pieces around a cocktail stick or skewer, only twist the middle section. They will hold their shape
    Glue one end of each piece of wire to the back of a leaf, I have used PVA and it works fine. Mine has gone onto a scrapbook page that is inside a protector so it isn't going to be handled much. Use a stronger adhesive if yours is going to be used on something that will be handled. Leave until completely dry.

    Start with one tendril ,one flower and one leaf, lay the pieces on top of each other and bind the stems of three pieces together with the florist tape.

     this is what you will end up with front
    and back, ignore the glue I couldn't wait for it to dry. If you assemble while the glue is wet the leaves will fall of....trust me on this.
    assemble another group of two leaves and a flower and lay this over the first arrangement, tape together with the florist tape.
    Follow this process making several groups until all the flowers, tendrils and leaves  are used.
     Bind all the arrangements together to form the vine. Adjust the wires to fill any obvious gaps and to add interest so it doesn't look too flat.
    On my layout I also made a small arrangement with a rose bud.

    and here is the original inspiration. I hope this is detailed enough for you and enjoy making them.

Comments

K said…
Thank you Kathy, with the weather warming up I fancy making one to wear in my hair :)
new2this said…
Super clear instructions ... andn you know what, I actually think I prefer your version to the originals!!!
Lesley said…
You are a crafting genius Kathy. Best flower tutorial I have seen and they are so pretty and much better than shop bought ones.
Mary Evans said…
Great tutorial thanks Kathy and I agree with Leslie very, very pretty!!
Beverley said…
Your flower vines are beautiful and your instructions are very clear...really lovely and thanks for sharing! Beverley/ Bubbleblitt uks
Alison Maddison said…
Absolutely beautiful!
sipus said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so helpful (:

Popular posts from this blog

Stuck?

Over the last few years sources one of my favourite sources of inspiration and a 'go to' for getting your creativity going again has become Pinterest. I think I use it almost as much as google. I recently saw this layout and knew I wanted to lift it. Here is the result

I loved its simplicity and I was able to use a photo that is almost 30 years old. See those scrabble type tiles, Ive had them years and was happy I could use some on here.

Guest Designer

Over on the Scrap Addicts Blog I am the last guest designer for this month. There has been a series of layouts posted this month based on the theme of large photos. My 'go to' photo size is the standard 6x4"but I also favour 3x4" for layouts with multiple photos. 
When I do use larger photos I like them to be at a stage in my scrapbook that shows a change in topic or location, almost like a new chapter.
I chose a very large photo 8 x 10 for this layout, with a large image like this all of the decorating can be lined up on one side but to make everything link up I like to overlap onto the photo.
I had the layout all planned in my mind but by the time I finished it I had taken it apart and then put together again three times! It was almost finished and i dropped glue onto the photo, so I had another photo printed and when I stuck it down the torch and arm had been cropped off the image. So third time lucky getting the photo right.
Playing the America theme I painted strip…