Skip to main content

Vine Tutorial

On Monday morning I took part in the UKScrappers blog hop, who would have predicted the response to the flowers I had made for the layout. In particular the rose vine. I was flabbergasted, but promised I would let everybody know how I had done it. If anybody does make one of these vines please could you credit me and if posted in a blog I would appreciate a link back to me.
I was absolutely inspired by the gorgeous Prima vines, I have purchased many but due to the cost they remain in my stash, I am too frightened to use them because they are not cheap. They fall into the category of  'waiting for a special projrect'. This made me challenge myself to see if i could make something similar.
 Firstly you will need to gather your supplies
  • Florist wires
  • florist paper tape
  • paper flowers - they need to have a 'tail' on them, I used these
  • card stock to make leaves
  • either a leaf punch or die to cut leaves, I used these
  • distress ink
    Cut as many leaves as you think you will need and ink the edges with distress ink.
     Cut two or three wires down to 3" lengths, you will need 1 wire for each leaf.
    Wrap each wire and the 'tail' of each flower with the florist tape.
     take several lengths of florist  tape, approx 4 - 5 " in length and twist the full length of it into a thin roll, this forms the tendrils
    Twist each of the rolled tape pieces around a cocktail stick or skewer, only twist the middle section. They will hold their shape
    Glue one end of each piece of wire to the back of a leaf, I have used PVA and it works fine. Mine has gone onto a scrapbook page that is inside a protector so it isn't going to be handled much. Use a stronger adhesive if yours is going to be used on something that will be handled. Leave until completely dry.

    Start with one tendril ,one flower and one leaf, lay the pieces on top of each other and bind the stems of three pieces together with the florist tape.

     this is what you will end up with front
    and back, ignore the glue I couldn't wait for it to dry. If you assemble while the glue is wet the leaves will fall of....trust me on this.
    assemble another group of two leaves and a flower and lay this over the first arrangement, tape together with the florist tape.
    Follow this process making several groups until all the flowers, tendrils and leaves  are used.
     Bind all the arrangements together to form the vine. Adjust the wires to fill any obvious gaps and to add interest so it doesn't look too flat.
    On my layout I also made a small arrangement with a rose bud.

    and here is the original inspiration. I hope this is detailed enough for you and enjoy making them.

Comments

K said…
Thank you Kathy, with the weather warming up I fancy making one to wear in my hair :)
new2this said…
Super clear instructions ... andn you know what, I actually think I prefer your version to the originals!!!
Lesley said…
You are a crafting genius Kathy. Best flower tutorial I have seen and they are so pretty and much better than shop bought ones.
Unknown said…
Great tutorial thanks Kathy and I agree with Leslie very, very pretty!!
Beverley said…
Your flower vines are beautiful and your instructions are very clear...really lovely and thanks for sharing! Beverley/ Bubbleblitt uks
Unknown said…
Absolutely beautiful!
sipus said…
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is so helpful (:
Anonymous said…
Thank you so much for sharing this.

Popular posts from this blog

UK Scrappers Blog Hop

Welcome to the UKS Spring BlogHop! I hope you are all enjoying some lovely spring weather. You may have come to me from JimJams blog and her stunning mini book. If you lose your way, or have dropped in on me directly and want to follow the hop, you can see the full list with all the links here . ETA Remember to comment on each blog and then go back to UKS and comment there to be in with a chance of winning a £25 voucher, I am offering a vine for commetners on this blog. It is important that you include your UKScrappers name in your comment.   I have created a page with some handmade flowers, I was inspired by the beautiful Prima branches, as usual I looked at them and thought I bet I could make those. This was my first attempt and I'm pretty pleased with myself. Also on the layout you should spot a lovely voile flower, some tiny pearl flowers and a couple of blossoms made from scallop circle punches. Although the bought flowersand vines are beautiful if you need to use

End of Summer Blog Hop

Hello to all you UK Scrappers blog hoppers, hopefully you have arrived from Ifa's blog, I have been a fan of Ifa's clean scrapbooking style, how lovely is that layout.  Well the project I made is another take on what you can do with the vines I featured on the last blog hop. Often you see these things and think 'well they are lovely but what will I do with it'. Scrapbooking supplies are not just for scrapbooking.  I bought a bargain frame from a 'cheap' shop and wanted to add a bit of va va voom to it.I thought it was wood so was going to paint and crackle it,, turning it shabby and planned to give it a vintagey theme. Well that went out the window when I realised it was plastic.   Plan B then, I painted it with Gesso to give it a bit of 'tooth' so that whatever I did would grip. I followed this with a couple of coats of cream paint and sanded the edges. This was followed with a sheet of 12x12 cut down to the same size as each panel and glued